I went with 3/4" MDF for the port panel and a 6" diameter x 6.5" bakelite port tube.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/29.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/30.jpg
Printable View
I went with 3/4" MDF for the port panel and a 6" diameter x 6.5" bakelite port tube.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/29.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/30.jpg
That looks like some kind of phenolic material to me......... and after a quick Google search I see that Bakelite falls into that category.
Yep, you are correct. I buy, reroll and resell polyester Mylar film from DuPont that comes on these tubes. I'm not sure why they use it; I'm sure there are cheaper solutions. But considering it's DuPont, I'm sure they have a reason. Also, a roll of this film is about $3K so they can absorb the cost. I have several laying around the house, and while I could never find a use for them, I couldn't seem to throw them out because they're Bakelite.
So all you pack rats out there have been validated once again. Keep on saving crap. You never know when you might need it ;)
I removed all that nasty fiberglass insulation. I'll be replacing it with Ultradenim.
This is what I've come up with for the internal bracing so far. The bottom panel had quite a bit of "bounce & boing" to it. It is dead now. These should also kill a lot of vibration at the bottom panel of the horn.
The side panels still boing a bit. I'll be putting two braces per side between the horn flares and side panels.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/31.jpg
It's strong and inherently dimensionally stable.Quote:
I'm not sure why they use it; I'm sure there are cheaper solutions.
"Rags n lacquer" is what one of my old boss's always called phenolic material.
In a previous life i spent some time running a "slitter" that used a rotary knife to cut bulk rolled paper and film stock from it's 6 to 10 foot wide master rolls into rolls of smaller widths for use in both offset printing and packaging on an industrial scale.
Some paper/fiber cored rolls would have to spend a period of time in the environmentally controlled warehouse before the rolls would fit the mandrel of the slitter properly. The paper/fiber absorbs humidity, and in humid enough conditions it swells. If it swells too much, it may not return to it's original dimensions which will preclude some machinery from handling it.
That makes perfect sense. The film that came on the roll is .5 microns thin. 29,000' of it is about 3/16" thick on the roll. Dimensional stability would be a very good asset when handling it.
Speaking about dimensional stability...here's a morning's work on cab #1.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/32.jpg
This has turned out to be quite a project. It should be worth it. There is a nice dull thud when you bang on it now.
I tell ya one thing; fine cabinetry, these things are not.
The front panel above the port panel was a little messed up. I thought of making a new one, then I thought of repairing this one, then I opted to just turn it over and paint the other side. It's been said, when you need to find the most expedient way to do something, ask the laziest person available.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/33.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/34.jpg
All painted. I didn't bother filling in dings and scratches; 'cuz then I'd have to worry about dinging and scratching them.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/35.jpg
HAHAHA. That's fantastic!!!! :-) I like picking up cat litter buckets........ they're just as handy as 5 gallon buckets, but have attached lids and fit in smaller places. They don't make very good port tubes, Though!
- - - Updated - - -
I've wanted to use the recycled denim for awhile. I think you are the first I've seen to use it and post pictures.
the blue sure looks nice.